Baking is one of my side passions, and I was excited to have the opportunity to work with Paradise Candy Company to develop this candied orange slice cake. My grandmother was well known for her orange slice cake and modernizing her recipe was a privilege. It took several attempts to perfect the recipe, but this final version of the cake received rave reviews from all of my taste testers.
Old fashioned orange slice candy is incredibly difficult to locate, Paradise Candy’s candied orange slices make the perfect alternative. The flavorful candies have a sugary sweetness that is unexpected and perfect for baking.
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup room temperature butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 pound dates, chopped (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups flaked coconut
- 2 8oz containers, candied orange peel
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
Vanilla Glaze Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons of butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons of milk
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Grease bunt pan.
- Mix butter and sugar together in a stand mixer, until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time; beat well after each addition.
- Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk and add to batter.
- Place flour in large bowl and add dates (optional), candied orange peels (save a few pieces to decorate the finished cake), and pecans. Stir to coat all pieces thoroughly.
- Add flour mixture and coconut to creamed mixture. The batter should be stiff, at this point. It might be easier to mix with hands or a sturdy spoon.
- Spoon batter into prepared cake pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- In a medium bowl, combine orange juice and confectioners’ sugar. Stir until smooth and well blended. Gradually pour juice mixture over hot cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Let orange slice cake stand in pan overnight.
- Carefully invert cake onto a cake plate; slice and serve.
- Make vanilla glaze and pour over the cake.
- Add decorative orange peel.
Vanilla Glaze Instructions
- In medium bowl, combine all ingredients until smooth, adding enough milk for desired glaze consistency.
This Candied Orange Slice Cake will be the perfect addition to your holiday dessert table. If you’re still looking for holiday dessert options, check out these recipes I’ve previously shared.
- Amanda is a native of Richmond, VA. She enjoys writing, blogging, traveling, shopping, and spending time with friends and family.