Special Guest Post By: Anya Willis
Trying to stay fit without the gym? Keeping active when you can’t do your usual workout is a major challenge. Creating a new, socially distanced workout routine will give you the power to keep pushing toward your fitness goals. With a bit of imagination, you can find fun ways for every member of the family to stay active. Here are a few ideas for the temporarily gymless.
Redefine Your Goals
What motivated you before the pandemic may not work anymore.
- Accept that the stress of your current situation might diminish your overall performance.
- Set a specific, achievable goal based on consistency rather than results.
- Use a mood tracker to see exercise’s effect on your stress levels.
- Help children set and track goals so they can see the power of exercise, too.
Find Your Quarantine Workout
You can exercise safely, both indoors and out.
- Find online exercise classes you and your family can enjoy together.
- Walking or running around your neighborhood is a great way to enjoy the sunshine.
- Check if local hiking trails are open and spend some time in nature.
- A simple at-home yoga routine will build strength and flexibility.
- Consider setting up a home gym so you can workout anytime.
When Gyms Reopen
Re-opened gyms should do their best to keep members safe.
- When your state’s gyms reopen, be cautious about your return.
- Research what your gym is doing to prevent COVID-19 spread.
- Take your own safety precautions, and don’t attend a gym that makes you uncomfortable.
Staying fit right now is a challenge, but it’s one you must face. Energy, mood, and even immune function can suffer if you’re not getting enough exercise. Finding ways to keep active while respecting social distancing will help get you through quarantine as comfortably as possible.
Photo Credit: Reshot
- Amanda is a native of Richmond, VA. She enjoys writing, blogging, traveling, shopping, and spending time with friends and family.